Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

True or False


So after lots of hesitation, self doubt, and nudging from my friend Angela, I made my first trip to labor and delivery.  I had been having contractions most of the afternoon and while at the pool they had settled into a 7-10 minute pattern for about 2 hours.  I dropped Nate off at his friend's house, and drove myself to the hospital.  I was 50% sure that they were going to laugh at me when they hooked me up to the monitors and said, "We don't see any contractions."  But Eric said better safe than sorry. 

 They hooked me up and for the first 30 minutes I only had 3 contractions with what they called aggravation.  I was dilated to 1 cm, but they said that wasn't uncommon for 32 weeks.  They were going to watch me for 1 hour and then check me again and most likely send me home.  I felt somewhat vindicated that I was in fact feeling contractions that were big enough to register on the machine.  So... I waited!  

Within 30 minutes, my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and getting much longer and stronger.  The resident and nurse both seemed surprised and I was glad that I decided to go in.  Eric was getting impatient so he went to find the nurse.  They came back and checked me again.  My cervix hadn't changed despite the frequency and strength of the contractions, so they said, "Go home, you're in False labor."  I said, "Okay, I'll just wait for this painful contraction to end and I'll get dressed."  

They gave me an Ambien sleeping pill and said if it is real labor you won't be able to sleep through it.  I got in my car and drove home quickly to beat the onset on the sleeping pill.  Unfortunately, the Ambien didn't make me sleep, but it did make me hallucinate for about 2 hours.  I feel asleep around 12:30 and woke several times after 4:00 due to "false" contractions.  
Today, I'm still having contractions, but they aren't regular and apparently not painful enough.  Honestly, I'm feeling a little hospital shy!  I will be 33 weeks tomorrow and every extra day that baby gets free rent in my tummy is good for his health and development.  

1 comment:

Angie said...

False my a**! You are amazing. You are doing such a great job taking care of that little boy. Mommy of the month for sure.