Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Teresa


Teresa is my mother-in-law.  But she is so much more than that.  When it comes to mother-in-laws I hit the jackpot.  Teresa is truly the most giving and selfless person I know, period.  She loved me right away and has never made me feel like she didn't support me as a person.  She doesn't just love me because I married her son.  She loves me just because. 

 She is also my  friend.  We like to go to flea markets and antique shops together.  We have the same political views and discuss them often.  We find lots of things to do together that don't involve Eric in anyway.  I'm not sure this is something people often say about their in-laws.

  Since the birth of Nathan and Zachary, she has gone out of her way to make my life easier when she can.  She comes to visit regularly and is happy, or at least appears to be happy, to just take care of the kids and give me a chance to breath.  She insists on taking the monitors at night, so I can sleep.  She often suggests that I get out of the house alone for a while.  After a recent, stressful drive to Tulsa with the boys, I expressed a relief to hand them off to my parents.  I suddenly had the feeling that Teresa might take that the wrong way, but she quickly started to laugh and said, "You spend an awful lot of time alone with the boys.  That is hard work.  It would be weird if you didn't feel the need for a break."  

She gets me!  She know exactly how my time and thoughts are consumed with doing and being the very best mom I can.  I don't take it likely and she knows it.

Neither of her sons have taken it particularly easy on her, but her love for them is unwavering.  She gives completely of herself and her love.  She never gives a second thought to what she might get in return.  

Imagine what the world would be like if this was how we all lived and loved!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I agree, she is an amazing woman!

Teresa Carr said...

Hi Julie, Thanks for the sweet things you wrote. I can hardly type this for the tears in the my eyes. I have always felt I am the lucky one. You have always been like a daughter to me--I just didn't give birth to you. Love, Teresa