Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My sister


Krista is 5 years older than me.  Growing up I was always a pain.  Tagging along trying to be cool, stealing her Duran Duran posters, etc. I often thought the only thing we had in common besides our parents, was that we both played soccer for a while.  Except, she was the goalie and very good.  

She is relatively short and I'm relatively tall.  She looks more like my dad's side of the family and I look more like my mom's.  She has always been quiet and not maybe even a bit shy.  As you all know, I am neither of these.   Krista has a child who graduates from high school this week and I have an infant.  I've always felt like we were very different and as we've gotten older I've thought this even more.  The way we deal with our children and confrontations and life, but recently my perception of that has changed.  

She recently graduated with a degree in Elementary Ed.  I have the same degree.  Although neither of us actually see classroom teacher as our ultimate career goal.  We both have interest in counseling.  She would like to work with troubled youth.  I would love to do something with Art therapy.  Anyway, she calls me from time to time to discuss some grave injustice in the classroom and we can talk about it for a  long time.  I'm realizing that we see the world and the people in it mostly the same way, we just express our feelings about it differently.  Krista often takes the relax and see what happens approach.  Allowing people to make  choices for themselves.  I often feel the need to add my two cents, perhaps implying that I don't think the person is capable of making a decision without my help.  It took me a while to figure it out, but I giving my sister's approach a try.  So far it seems to be working.  Thanks, sis.

P.S. My sister doesn't allow people to take her picture.  This is the only pic I could find of her.  It was taken hours after the birth of Nathan.  She was reading, "What color are your underwear?" to Nathan and I.  

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I can totally relate to the relationship you 2 share. It's amazing how over the years it changes and still gets better. Have fun at Alia's graduation!