Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

We are homeschoolers.... there, I said it!

I can't remember all the details (who am I kidding?) of how it all came to be.  I'm truly not sure when the line got blurred and the internal transformation happened.  But... It has happened officially and joyfully!  This isn't a reaction or a phase this is a way of living and learning as a family.

Last night, I realized that something has changed a little over the course of a few months.  And maybe last night was the first time my brain was allowed to stop and have a big picture moment.  I spent hours reading homeschooling websites and blogs last night and it all sort of hit me.  I woke up this morning feeling rejuvenated and excited.  We are homeschoolers.  We like learning together.  We like to be home.  We like spending most of our day together.  This is a choice to give this sense of family to my children.

When you tell people you are homeschooling many of them (friends included) will look at you like you are crazy, or you must have a special child, or you are the mom that just can't let go.  Even though I can say those things aren't true, there are moments when I wonder if I just don't see it as clearly as others.  I've had lots of those moments in the last 18 months. Moments when I question my choice to homeschool Nathan. Moments when I wonder if this is all a reaction to fear.  Fear that my child will...? or won't...? or the school will...? or the school won't...?

But today I know this is not a reaction to fear.  It was a reaction to love. And now it isn't a reaction to anything.  IT JUST IS!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Love it! So well said!