Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A glimpse into the Price Family Homeschool

I like having a schedule.  But every time I try to say we do blank at blank time and then blank at blank time I get frustrated because it just isn't our nature.  My boys wake up in the morning and can't wait to play together.  I need a couple cups of coffee and to play fetch with the dog.  Sometimes these things only take 30 minutes, but frequently we need longer to get going.  So I'm trying a new Chunk schedule.  After all, I don't want to try to recreate a public school classroom at home.  I don't need to be that strict with schedules because I don't have 25 kids to teach.  So here's a glimpse into our daily chunks.  Zachary still goes to preschool on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings.  I have to say I'm super excited for him to be home full time next year.

AM FAMILY CHUNK -  Feed and Fetch Sadie, Free play, Coffee, Mom's workout, Nature Walk     (with Sadie), morning chore

AM CORE SCHOOL CHUNK- Breakfast with Book (I read aloud a picture book every morning during breakfast), Language Arts, Math, 2nd grade Science & Social Studies on MWF, and FAMILY Science & Social Studies on TT


RECESS LUNCH D.E.A.R CHUNK- Gross motor free play, lunch, and reading in bedrooms (Nathan reads for 60 minutes, Zachary does 20 minutes alone and 25 minutes with mom.)

PM SCHOOL CHUNK- Arts and Crafts, Music, Family Science, Baking, Unfinished morning work

PM FAMILY CHUNK- Walk Sadie, afternoon chore, chill time, dinner, etc.


One morning, not so long ago, we had breakfast hotdogs cooked over the fire pit.  Boys put goggles on to protect their eyes from the smoke.

It looks so clean and orderly when all typed out.  But there is lots of time between all these chunks to play. We also do a few classes during the week... piano lessons, gymnastics, art, wrestling, and jiu jitsu.

No comments: