Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Juggling


Tonight at Bunko there was no Bunko!  Just 8 lovely ladies sitting around eating fajitas and drinking margaritas.  Sitting there listening to all the funny stories about our children and our lives I realized that girls never really grow up.  After talking about our children and our lives we ended up discussing our imperfect bodies and how many calories we do or don't consume each day. 

 Do we ever get to a point were we are just satisfied with the progress we are making towards the perfect bodies we covet?  Or maybe happy to take a little break from obsessing and allow ourselves to gain a couple pounds without freaking out? 

Being a wife, mother, and woman is hard to juggle sometimes.  When we get focused on one aspect of our lives we lose touch with something else.  I really think that growing up means we come to terms with the fact that we can't do everything perfectly all the times.  When we finally decide that it is okay to improve one or two things at a time.  

All the ladies at the table are 30 something mothers.  Each one is above average intelligence and beautiful.  Not a single lady at the table would be considered even a little over weight.  Nonetheless, we can't just be grateful for the healthy bodies that we have.  

A very close friend ask me the other day if I was happy with my body and I realized instantly that I was.  I've obsessed about my thighs since about 8th grade.  That's almost 20 years!  And just this week, at almost 33 years old, I can honestly answer that I'm happy with my body.  I am happily working on improving it, but not because I hate it.  Maybe it is because I'm older and wiser, or maybe it is because I'm too busy juggling.  

3 comments:

Sara said...

Julie - you've always been one of the most beautiful people I've ever had the privilege to know, both inside & outside! It's true though, we often don't appreciate & care for ourselves the way we should. But do I have to grow up?

Carrie said...

It took me until I was about 33 to realize that I am happy with my body/weight. I have gotten to that place where I work out for the company and the enjoyment of spending time on me.

Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Julie,
You are gorgeous and so talented, I'm glad you finally came to the realization that you're close to perfect! We'll look back 15 years from now and wonder what we were complaining about! I really miss Bunco with you fun ladies.