Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Adjust Your Sails


This morning my thoughts are on the ocean somewhere. SAILING.
I am the boat. The breeze, which is relatively strong today, is blowing me where it wants me to go.
I am the boat. I have no control of the wind. Its shifty nature. It's howling at times and blowing and lifting me right in the exact direction I wish to go. Then it suddenly changes and makes it very hard or impossible to maintain my heading.
I am the boat. I have a few passengers to carry safety along this journey. I hope that the direction I choose is the right direction for my passengers too.
I am the boat. Heading straight into the wind is impossible. There is no way to capture the wind and power my sails. I must adjust and sail slightly off course for a while and then tack again.
I am the boat. I cannot change wind. I cannot influence the wind. I cannot control the wind.
I am the boat. I can adjust my sails. I can change my course. I can embrace the way the wind blows me. I can keep safe my passengers. I can teach them how to feel the sun and breeze and ocean spray as we sail. I can teach them to hear the water and sing with the sea birds and look for ocean creatures. I can help them paint the colors of the sunrises and sunsets. I can anchor in safe harbors, now and again, and play with them in the sand.
I am the boat. I can smile, laugh, and enjoy the sail.
I am the boat.

2 comments:

jolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jolyn said...

My first thought was exactly the same... beautiful.