Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

hitting the pavement


A few weeks ago I got a random text from my friend, Carrie. She was going out on a limb to ask if I wanted to be on her Brew to Brew team. The Brew to Brew is a relay type run from KC to Lawrence, Kansas. Teams of 5 run a total of 44 miles. I was familiar with the run and my initial response was "uggg". Then five minutes later I found myself texting her back WTF. As long as nobody cares how slowly I run my parts, why not.

Two days later, I got on the treadmill and ran for an hour. It wasn't as hard as I imagined it would be, but my body was super sore. Then I had to take two weeks off because the dermatologist removed a scary mole on my back. She said no vigorous exercise until the stitches come out. (I almost waited for the stitches to come out.)

Finally, yesterday, I went running outside for the first time in 2 years. I went for a 4 mile run with Carrie. It was great. My back and legs were really talking to me the last 1/2 mile, but I managed to sprint right at the end. Today, other than the tiniest twinge of pain in my knees I feel fabulous. Looking forward to outside runs on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Brew to Brew is April 11th. I think I will be ready!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I am so PROUD of you! I'm so excited for you and the "other" perks you are experiencing from running.