Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Have less


I'm feeling the need to purge. I want to live leaner. If I don't love it, I don't want it anymore. I want to clean out closets and drawers and the garage and storage.

Who's with me?

This is what I'm thinking... First, gathering up all the stuff in my house I don't love including decorations I'm over, toys the boys never touch, random under utilized furniture, etc. Second, putting out in my driveway and attempt to sell it to a new home. Somewhere it will all be appreciated. Third, making arrangements for AM Vets to come pick it all up and tow it away. AM Vets will give it to people who need it.

I want to replace quantity with quality. I want to fit all my stuff on a boat and sail for months homeschooling my boys. I want to teach Nathan to better appreciate the things he has. I want to value people, time, and experiences over stuff.

Who wants to have a purge party?



10 comments:

Julie said...

Actually, perhaps part of this should be about finding interesting charities or places to donate the stuff we don't sell.

glenda said...

I am cleaning closets also, and drawers and getting rid of everything! I want to fit all of our things in a travel trailer! The only thing is that Dad suggests that he take things to his shop to store...no, that is not the intent. We can't pull the shop behind the travel trailer. Ha.

Julie said...

exactly. no more storing stuff.

Angie said...

Also my current project- all th estuff is making me feel antsy. I am getting rid of 5 things every day.

Jen said...

I just got rid of a TON (perhaps literally, haha) of the kids clothes we had been saving in case Alice turned out to be a boy. I took it to JBF to sell and almost made back the ticket I got this week. : / And when the sale is over, they donate everything that's left. It was nice to get rid of a bunch of stuff--now there's more to do!

The Stoner Family said...

We have done the same thing! Josh and I cleaned all the closets and sold some stuff the second hand children's store and we have a Plato's closet here and I sold our stuff. I think we ended up making $120 from all of it. I look around at all the kids toys and see random pieces of useless stuff that they don't use and think wow what a waste of money that was! Glad to hear that we are not the only ones purging things!

Julie said...

Yep Jen. I got my JBF check on Saturday. I actually sold more than I bought. Super Fun!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larsen's in Wyoming said...

Julie,
I'm with you! It must be Spring cleaning time, because it's been on my mind too. Just last week we got rid of a bike, 3 carseats, a dining room table, a train table and old clothes. It would be nice to have less stuff to clean up and store. I wish we lived closer, I'd be in on the yard sale too. I like Angela's idea, purge 5 things a day, that's easy! Thanks for the inspiration.

Carrie said...

I'm always donating and getting rid of STUFF! My big thing now is to stop the random STUFF from even entering my house. No more toys for no reason! It's good to have things that make you "happy" not "crazy". I want my kids to learn to be THANKFUL for what they have in their lives.