Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Perspective

Humanistic psychology perspective emphasizes the importance of human consciousness, self-awareness, and the capacity to make choices. Humanists believe that we create our way of responding to the world as we go through life. This school places a lot of importance on consciousness and self-awareness.
What did you see first the leaves, the reflections of the trees, or the fish?

Yesterday was my first 12 hour shift as an sexual assault victim advocate. I had one 45 minute phone call around 8 pm. Hanging up the phone I had the thought that it is amazing how much we can truly believe about ourselves, for years, because of someone else's actions. How long is it necessary to hold on to such negative self talk? When do you get to take back the power that someone took away? For the caller on the phone it had been 20 years and she was still in a place of shame and guilt.

At 2 am, I got a call from the hospital that a victim was there. I quickly dressed and headed out. I was talking to myself in the car about staying calm and being a steady hand in the mist of someone else's nightmare. I can't say much about the victim because of confidentiality but I will say that they weren't who you may expect. I was calm, cool, and collected. I offered stuffed animals and blankets and words of encouragement for the family.

When I got home, I was thinking about perspective. Especially, perspective in how we allow others to treat us, and how we allow them to influence how we feel about ourselves. I thought about Power. Who do we give our power to? When do we decide enough is enough and take it back? I thought about resilience. The ability to smile and laugh, and be optimistic and know that it can and will get better.

I learned a lot about myself in those 12 hours.


2 comments:

Mindi said...

That's awesome Julie! What a great thing to be involved in. Lately, I'm feeling I need to have more "service" in my life too.

Carrie said...

I will say it again, those people are very fortunate to have you there for them when they need someone most!